Those who know me get that I’m ALWAYS in the gym, I eat clean and I take my supplements. Yet I am flawed. Something isn’t right for me and I believe it has prevented my progress.
Sure, I made an error..I haven’t been getting optimum hours SLEEP. My body was sleep deprived. I was walking around gym like a zombie girl. I mean my eyes are pretty scary anyway!
In truth just a few days back I was getting only 4 hours. And I hate to admit sometimes less than this a night…tut tut. My brain just wouldn’t switch off. How did I manage to keep working out every day? Motivation? Caffeine from supplements? 😀 Not good enough, I wouldn’t reach my goals feeling like this. I had to stop.
I knew deep down I needed to correct this because it was getting me down, it was affecting my performance in the gym, I felt stressed, my body felt stressed and I couldn’t study so well. I finally hit a gravestone.. sleep deprivation burnt me out one sesh both mentally and physically.. I had resolved the issue too late. CRASH. BURN.
So sleep is vital to having a positive impact on performance. More sleep means less mistakes.
ALSO, have you ever heard of Circadian rhythm? It is the natural clock in which our body operates i.e. stay active during the daytime and sleep like a baby at night. If you stick to this rhythm you can reduce the muscle breaking down hormones a.k.a. you get to keep your gains ;). Ooopssie…I am guilty because I was napping between classes.
Likewise sleep enhances muscular recovery via human growth hormone release and protein synthesis.
Taking all points into consideration I can see that I need quality sleep to grow and change my body. My motivation to gym, my diet, my supplements are all completely useless without prioritising sleep first.. I need and want to move forwards and not backwards. So like I try to do always, I see a problem and I correct it.
Here’s how I improved my sleep from 4 hours to 8 hours :
- Planning- knowing what time I need to be up and working backwards to see the time I need to fall asleep by
- Turn off all electronic devices half an hour before I need to be asleep
- No napping during the day
- Drink English Sleepy Me tea. This really helps me to relax!
- I read something before I sleep sometimes e.g. a good book to tire out my eyes.. (Confessions of a shopaholic at the moment.. I am legit Rebecca Bloomfield)
- Wear a cute sleeping mask to block out light
- Make sure the room is cool
- Quiet/peaceful atmosphere (politely asked my roommate to be respectful of this 😀 )
- No caffeine after 4pm at all
Personally these are the tips I follow and they have worked incredibly well for me. Now I am sleeping like a baby and I feel soooo much better in the gym both mentally and physically.
I am hoping that I will start seeing my hard work pay off now I understand it will take me time but I have no intention of giving up on my goal, even when i reach this goal I will sustain it.
I hope this post benefited you, let me know what you think below and don’t forget to star if you enjoyed the read! x